Monday, May 7, 2012

Fat Quarter Idol

Do you read Sew, Mama, Sew?  If not, you should.  Even if you're not a quilter - they are just a great all-around sewing blog.  I love it.

For the past couple weeks, they've had this new contest called "Fat Quarter Idol."  Every Monday, they have a theme, and based on that theme, they want people to pick 12 fabrics from their shop, and pin them to a Pinterest board specifically for that week's theme. 

I just really love these contests of picking fabric bundles.  Whenever I see one of these contests, I participate, because it's just fun for me.  It's also quite challenging for me, because it's just so easy to pick fabrics all from the same line.  To actually go outside fabric lines, and choose fabrics based on a theme is something that I'm still learning. 

So every Monday morning for the past few weeks, I've been making my Pinterest boards, and choosing fabrics based on that week's theme.

The first week's theme was "Sweet Child of Mine."  You can see my board here.  I just picked fabrics really, that I liked, and tried to not make it too girly or too boyish. 

The next week's theme was "Meet Me at the Picnic."  I just tried picking fabrics that were happy, but not something that was just obvious "picknickey."  You can see that one here.

Last week's theme was "Daddy-O."  I went with the same kind of color scheme that I did for my son's Biggie Ziggie quilt that I made - navy, green, gray, and mustard/curry yellow.  Part of me would like to make a quilt for my husband in that same color scheme, so that's why I went with those same colors.  When I put it all together for Tucker's quilt, I really just loved it.  It was probably one of the first quilts I made from just putting together random fabrics.  Here's my board for that one.

Anyways, at the end of each week, two judges narrow down all the entries to 10.  Then it's open for public voting.  The winner of that week's theme gets the fabric bundle that they picked, and that bundle is also up for sale in Sew, Mama, Sew's shop, which is pretty cool!

Amazingly, for the Daddy-O theme, I was selected as one of the top 10!  Here's the link to the top 10 for this week.  You can vote for your 3 favorite.  So if my bundle is one of your faves, vote for me!  If not, vote for 3 other people! 

No comments:

Post a Comment