Friday, May 6, 2011

Pretty {little} Pouch Swap - Practice Pouches

The Pretty {little} Pouch Swap is a new swap group on Flickr.  I was invited to join by Kelly, and I just couldn't say no!  I had some deadlines (the LAMQG swap stuff and my Bee Happy stuff), but I knew that I'd be able to start working on a pouch after those were done. 

Well, I just dove right in this week, and thought I didn't need to practice first, even though I've never made a pouch before, and well, it didn't turn out.  Don't get me wrong, it was cute, and it was okay, but I didn't feel comfortable sending this to my partner.  See how it's wonky?  It's not supposed to be.  I used this tutorial.



My mom was here for a surprise visit, and when I showed it to her and told her I wasn't going to send it to my partner, she was very quick to claim it!  So it was an early Mother's Day present for her.  Happy Mother's Day, Mom!

So I decided I would do a practice one.  And I also decided to use a different tutorial, and then I would pick whichever pouch I liked better after the second was completed.  I had seen alot of people referencing the tutorial for a box pouch over at The Plaid Scottie.  So I did that.

I went with Sherbet Pips, because I caved and bought a charm pack a while back.  I had nothing in mind for it, I just had to have it!  After I got it, I thought I could use some of the charms for something for Melissa's daughter's birthdays, which are this month.  So when it came time to make another pouch, I went with the Pips, and decided to give it to her oldest for her 3rd birthday, because if it didn't come out perfectly, she's only 3 - she won't care!  And if she's anything like my 3 year old, she'll be thrilled to have yet another little something to put little trinkets in.  The only thing that was holding me back was the color of the zipper.  Since my partner likes lineny things, I got a natural linen kind of zipper.  I got 3 of them, to be exact.  So when I was ready to make the Pips Pouch, I wasn't prepared for a matchy-matchy zipper.  But I didn't have time to go back to the store and get a different zipper, so I just went with it.

Anyways I went to work with some improv piecing for the exterior...I just love those Pips.  This color combo of the pink, gray, and blue is just too sweet!



Then I started on the pouch.  The tutorial was very easy to follow - I was pleasantly surprised.  Here it is, in all of it's Boxy Pip Sweetness!





All I can say is I'm super in love with this, and when my 3 year old saw it, she said, "Can we keep it?"  But no, it's for Mookie.  I hope she loves it!

Now I just have to make one for my partner!  I'm definitely going with this tutorial.  So stay tuned!
PS - Check out my giveaway here!

3 comments:

  1. l love your swap pouch, Kelly! And right on to your mom for claiming it. Love that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you're first pouch was awesome, wonkiness and all. But your Sherbet Pips pouch is amazing. I love the improv piecing you did. It turned out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved your pouch.
    If you want to see my works and purses go:
    http://www.patchretalhinhos.blogspot.com.br
    Have nice day.
    Eusa

    ReplyDelete