Monday, March 21, 2011

Yesterday

Yesterday was an interesting day here in SoCal.  It rained pretty much all day long.  It doesn't rain here very often, and when it does, it definitely doesn't rain all day.  So that was part of the unusualness (is that a word?).

That was okay, though, because there's something so nice about quilting on a rainy day.  So that's what I did.  I'll write more about this later, but I was working on a quilt that I'll be putting up for auction for Modern Relief - Japan.


Then around 5-something last night, the lights flickered, went out, then came on again.  Then a few minutes later, they flickered, went out, and didn't come back on.  Until this morning!  

So most of my night looked like this


Which meant I had to dig out my 3 storage boxes full of candles and candle holders.  I used to be a really big candle person, but I don't really use candles anymore for a few reasons...

1) Candles and toddlers don't mix,

2) We strangely don't have any shelves or ledges in our living room, which is where we spend most of our time, so the only place to put candles is on our end tables, which kind of goes back to my first reason,

and

3) As far as keeping my house smelling nice, I'm slightly obsessed with Wallflowers from Bath & Body Works, and I have 4 throughout my house all the time. 

But after last night, I realized I had forgotten how nice candlelight is.  They still don't mix with toddlers, so back into storage they go.

Oh yeah, and I also lost signal for my cell phone, and since we don't have a landline, I felt completely cut off from the rest of the world.  And with my husband not home (he was coming back in town during all of this), that left me a little freaked out.

He finally made it home, and that's how I found out that pretty much all of my little piece of LA (San Pedro) was without power.  He said it was a pretty weird thing driving home in total darkness! 

I was also awakened around 4 am this morning to the sound of hail pelting our bedroom window, and then thunder and lightening a little after that.  Storms like this are rare around these parts!

So I didn't get quite as much quilting done as I had hoped, but I'm hoping to finish it up this week.

1 comment:

  1. they say it never rains in Southern California.... but when it rains, it pours!
    or something like that, i can't remember all the words to the song :)

    ReplyDelete