Wednesday, June 6, 2012

WiP Wednesday

Wow - it's been a while! Life is catching up with me, I guess. I'm still sewing - just not as much. And I'm finding I just don't have a lot of time to blog. Or at least, if I do have time, I don't really think about it.
First I want to show something that I recently finished. 

Before I moved to Florida last year I knew I wanted to start a modern quilt guild.  Through Flickr and her blog, I discovered that Kelly B. lived here and was also interested in starting a MQG. Around that same time, I found (through the main MQG website) Melissa, another girl in the area that wanted a guild. The three of us emailed, and finally met together after I moved here. Kelly and Melissa both helped me get this guild started in a major way, and in September of last year, the Emerald Coast MQG had it's first meeting!

At that time, Kelly and myself were both Air Force spouses, which means that we aren't here permanently.  Kelly's time in Florida was coming to a close, and she would be moving in May.  Since she was such a big part of this guild, I wanted to do something special for her. So I made up some siggy blocks for people in the guild to sign. Once they were all signed, I pieced them together, along with a border, then gave that to Melanie to handstitch over the names. She gave it back to me. I quilted it, bound it, and sent it off to Kelly (because we didn't finish it in time to give it to her in person before she moved). We made it into a wall hanging, and hopefully it will live on the wall in Kelly's new beautiful sewing room in Tennessee.



We miss Kelly and keep trying to convince her to come down once a month for meetings. 

Now onto the WiPs...
I started my block for the QuiltCon Block Challenge a week or so ago.  It's actually taking me longer than I'd like, but I haven't had a chance to just sit down and finish it, and there's lots of HST's involved.  Here's a sneak peek:
And I've taken my first custom order for a quilt.  She wants a zig zag quilt for her baby.  I've got the blocks assembled, just have to trim (my least favorite part) and put it all together.
And another round of the Pillow Talk {Swap} on Flickr is starting, so I signed up for that.  I'm making time for it because I love that swap so much, and had to sit out the last round.  I'm not missing it again, and my couch is in need of a new pillow!  I'm eagerly waiting to find out who my partner is so I can start working on that, so stay tuned...

I'm linking up to WiP Wednesday over at Freshly Pieced.  Head on over there to see what other people are working on!
WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

7 comments:

  1. That signature quilt is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet idea for a friendship quilt! And nice embroidery. I can NOt seem to conquer cursive embroidery...

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a cool personalized gift - so precious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the signature quilt - what a wonderful idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your story of starting your MQG is inspiring! And what a beautiful idea, to commemorate your friend and fellow guild member with a special gift.

    ReplyDelete
  6. THat is darling. And I know she treasures it! Also, I love the orange and turquoise block! I keep meaning to do something in that color combo for myself.

    ReplyDelete