Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Orange You Glad I Made This?

Okay, that's a really cheesy title, but I couldn't think of anything more clever.

Do you ever fall asleep on the couch while watching TV at night with your hubby?  Please tell me I'm not the only one that does this.  Anyways, a couple of weeks ago, that was happening...and in the middle of my almost sleep state, I looked over at my husband who was reading the paper.  A picture caught my eye, and I drowsily said, "Save that paper for me."  He thought I was sleep-talking, I'm sure.  So he asked why, and I told him that even though I was half-asleep, I was getting inspired by that picture.  You just never know when or where inspiration will hit!

Since it's a new month, which means it's a new round of the Blogger's Pillow Party, I thought, Why not?  I'll go 3 for 3 (here's my January and February entries) and use this inspiration to make a pillow.

Blogger's Pillow Party

I'm calling it "Orange Slice," and I used Amanda Jean's Ticker Tape tutorial.  Here's a picture of the pillow with the inspirational newspaper.


I really wanted to try something I've never done before, so I added a binding to it, and I love the extra little something it brings to the pillow.



Close up of the ticker tape and quilting.


And my oldest daughter posing with it.


I used a 12x16 pillow form, Robert Kaufman Kona in Medium Gray, the binding is a Kaffe Fassett shot cotton that I had leftover from this quilt, and the scraps are just random things I had.  I've really been wanting to work with this color combination for a while, and I'm glad I did!  This was a fun little project.

7 comments:

  1. very cool! I think the name is perfect, and I love the story of what inspired you to make the pillow. I have had two projects that were inspired at a point when I was just on the brink of falling asleep (and consequently lost a lot of sleep thinking through them!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an awesome pillow! I loved seeing the inspiration behind it, too. I get inspiration in odd places sometimes....I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a creative and beautiful pillow!
    Love it!!!!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that you found inspiration half asleep from a newspaper.
    This pillow is so neat, I think the orange stripe down the back closure looks so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like it and I especially like your inspiration story. hehe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the back story. Thanks for sharing and offering it as a giveaway.

    ReplyDelete